Monday 31 March 2014

What is Success?

Many years before I crossed the line of faith I had vision of where I wanted to be when I was older.
There I was, suited up in the finest clothes - don’t ask me if it was Dolce, Louis Viton or anything, as I know NOTHING about such clothing brands. I was 100 metres in the air in a glass skyscraper, overlooking the city.

Back then success in my eyes was almost entirely about image, status and wealth (pretty much what the world is constantly telling us). I was driven by deep desire to be “successful” by this world standard, yet as I started “achieving” I began to want more and more. No matter what I achieved, be it in academics or sport, I never felt fulfilled – there was a gap in my life that I just kept trying to fill by fulfilling goals and “achievements”.

It was not before I began to walk with Christ that this deep longing for something more was finally fulfilled. Ephesians 2:1-2 says “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.” You see, Satan has deceived the world into thinking that image, status and wealth are keys to a successful life but this could not be farther from the truth.

Psalm 1:1-3 says “Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.” God did not put us on this earth for us to make idols of money, status or achievements. Instead, He created us for His glory!

Whenever I think of what my ideal situation of the future may be, I see myself with a happy family (yes, I know that this sounds like a cliché, but it really is a deep desire of my heart), but if this is not in God’s plan for my life then I will have to acknowledge that, as He has a perfect plan for each of us!

Now don’t get me wrong, I do not believe there is anything wrong with becoming a successful businessman, as I know that God has used Christians in places of such authority to help those in need as well as to spread the Gospel. I do however want to warn against you placing the desires of your heart ahead of God. Do not be like me and try and fill up the hole in your life with fleeting things of this world – only God can completely satisfy our soul!

I pray that through this message you will not pursue the “successes” of this world as your own…instead, seek to glorify God in all you do.

Peace and Love
A

1 comment:

  1. A

    I've honestly never read such a powerful and meaningful article in my life! Hahaha I recently had an epiphany: I've never had so litlle (in wordly terms) but I've never enjoyed my life so much! I can feel God working in my life and making me grow, and I wish the same for you because it's so amazing.

    Honestly, I used to care about how many 'friends' I had, how many 'likes' I got, if anyone noticed my branded shirt etc. But now I feel so liberated and I can see it being reflected in all aspects of my life.

    Thanks for a fantastic article.

    ReplyDelete