Wednesday 24 September 2014

Colton Dixon: Anchor


Artist: Colton Dixon
Album: Anchor
Release Date: 19 August 2014
Genre: Rock
Label: 19 Recordings/Capitol CMG
Rating: 4/5

Wow… So, to be honest, I did not expect to like this album when I first read about it, visited Colton Dixon’s webpage, looked at his hair, read about the genre, read that he had placed 7th in Season 11 of American Idol, read about the type of sound I would be reviewing...  But wow!  Was I reeled in, humbled and anchored (LOL) by the first two tracks!

S.O.S. introduces the album with eerie astronaut, or mission control radio crackles and voices, already setting a tone of urgency for a mission that he may be passionate about.  In my head, anything regarding space communication or travel immediately triggers the Infinite, the Eternal and some kind of bigger picture… The glory and wonder of God, the creator of the universe.

The second track, Our Time Is Now surprised me with its crispness, the uniqueness and unpredictability of its melody.  The rest of the album is equally surprising and kept me enthralled.  It is honest, passionate, appropriately dramatic and worshipful.

My favourite track is no. 7, More of You: “I refuse to gain the world and lose my soul”.


A cool thing about track 6, 35.8483, -86.4518. Type in these digits into the Google machine and it gives you a location, a road in Murfreesboro, Dixon’s home town J  A link back to his foundation, his family… Pretty cool.

“My hope is that at the end of it all, you feel closer to God than you did when you first pressed ‘play.’”
- Dixon

Strong vocals, interesting arrangements, strong piano, strong foundations. Strong album!

Big love,

Sammy

No comments:

Post a Comment