Wednesday 16 July 2014

Judah & the Lion: Sweet Tennessee

Artist: Judah & the Lion
Album/EP: Sweet Tennessee
Release: April 2013
Genre: Folk, Country
Rating: 4.5

I'll never forget the first moment I heard the alluring voice of Judah Akers, the lead singer of the three-piece folk band, Judah & the Lion. From that first line of "Fill This House" I was hooked...."Holy Spirit come and fill this house up. Let your love fall like a fire. Consume us, Lord." This is what I was looking for. A folky band with a heart for Jesus.

You can just imagine the excitement felt when I found their latest EP Sweet Tennessee on Noisetrade! With their first release, First Fruits, being a worship EP, the band decided to create an EP that connected with a wider audience. Although the Christian connotations are not as obvious in Sweet Tennessee, they are definitely present. The lyrics are centred around Tennessee and the band's love for their country roots.

For me, this is one of the best EP's I've listened to all year! The beauty contained in this album is indescribable. I can honestly say that Judah and the band are able to paint pictures with their music....despite the fact that I've never visited Tennessee, I feel as though I know it intimately.

Although the country/folk instruments tie the sounds of each song together, the EP presents the listener with a diverse range of sound. Whether it be a slow, enchanting song like "Sweet Tennessee", or a foot-stomping, singing out loud song like "Southern Ground" it's got it all!

I pray that Judah & the Lion will continue to grow from strength to strength and that, in Jesus' name, they will continue to grow the Kingdom. I can't wait to hear their upcoming album "Kids These Days", coming later this year!

Peace and Love

A

No comments:

Post a Comment