Sunday 26 January 2014

Love Versus Accomplishments


Before I begin the post, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jordan, and this is my first post here. It’s an honour to be able to contribute to this community, and I pray that everything I write in this, and all posts to come, glorify God and serve in line with the mission of this great blog. Things about me you should know? I happen to be a fan of dolphins, I enjoy long walks on the beach, I occasionally like to speak in a New Zealand or British accent for no reason, and I have a sense of humour that has been described as ridiculous far more often than funny. Nice to meet you!

Anyway, in my Bible reading this morning, these verses jumped out at me: “Your unfailing love is better to me than life itself; how I praise you! I will honour you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest of foods. I will praise you with songs of joy” -Psalm 63:2-5.

This struck me in a significantly humbling way. I felt this scripture talking directly to me, telling me that God is sufficient. In every way imaginable, God is sufficient. I felt this scripture telling me that we do not need to rely on a high quality of life in order to be satisfied. Specifically, although these words do not appear there, we do not need to be perceived as successful in order to be satisfied by the love of God. His presence in our lives, and all that He has done for us by sending Jesus to die for us, is all that will ever matter. Whether we are the president of the country, or a simple office worker, we can have an equally significant life in the eyes of Christ because no accomplishment alters his 100% love for us. Indeed, all that is required is “Jesus + nothing”.

The truth is, I often fall into the trap of feeling dissatisfied with myself based on a lack of accomplishments. The prospect of an “average” job and “average” life scares me. I often feel that as Christ followers, we are called to do something great and be used in great ways. But what I often don’t comprehend is that regardless of job and living circumstances, we can always be used by God in great ways. This is simply due to the fact that we always have influence in the lives of those around us, and positive influence by showing God’s love in our circles of connection should always be our goal. Yes, as Christ followers, we need to endeavour to further God’s Kingdom. Absolutely. But that doesn’t mean we need to be a pastor or a full time missionary. Our mission is the occupation and talent that God has given us, and we will be used in those circles.

Even in a life of poverty. A life consistently in desperation for food, shelter or humanly love… God’s love is enough. Because, in accordance with Jesus’ final words; “it is finished”. Christ has won the battle. If we declare Him as our Lord and saviour, we have everything we will ever need. We may not have an easy time on earth, but God has ensured that a blissful eternity in His presence awaits. That is worth praising with songs of joy!

So today I feel liberated. It is not about accomplishments, positions of responsibility, money etc. It is about God’s love. And God’s love has won!

Signing out for now
Jords
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment