Sunday 19 January 2014

God's Calling



Wow...after speaking about one’s “calling” at men’s group this morning and AGAIN at church this evening, I thought what better topic to discuss than God’s calling for one’s life!? :p

The discussion started off with a reading from Psalm 23…I’m sure you are familiar with it…”The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.” To our surprise that’s where the reading stopped. It did not carry on to the well-known “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…”
The discussion carried on with the question “What does the Bible mean when it says the Lord is our ‘shepherd’? A shepherd is someone who looks after the sheep. It is up to the shepherd to not only protect the sheep from threats, but also to lead the sheep from pasture to pasture. I am not too familiar with the art of “shepherding” so for the sake of this article let’s say that’s all there is to it. I sincerely apologise if any shepherds are offended by this simple job description...

Now I for one must admit that I am a bit of a control freak. I like to call the shots and must know what’s going in around me, but as I approach the final year of my studies I am faced with a formidable beast…that of the unknown! I have NO idea where I am going to be or what exactly I will be doing. Normally this would frighten me to death, but after a lot of prayer and spending time in God’s word I realise that He is my shepherd. HE WANT’S WHAT IS BEST FOR US! He knows the plans He has for me so why should I worry!?

This evening our pastor said that our calling is often found where our passions, skills and interests intersect. He also said that, to some, our callings are revealed suddenly, whilst to others it is more of a journey. He said that no matter how our calling comes about we must just remain faithful to God in our day-to-day activities and our calling will become apparent in time. Be faithful to God with the small things and you will be entrusted with larger things…
If, like me, you do not yet know where God is calling you exactly, don’t fret! He has such amazing plans for us all! We just have to remain obedient. I just want to encourage you to pray to God, asking Him for guidance and direction. Be patient and wait on the Lord. If an answer does not come your way immediately remember that God’s timing is perfect…carry on being faithful and obedient to Him.

I know I have only just scratched the surface of this topic and I will carry on with it at a later stage. I just pray that over the coming week you will remember that our God is also our Loving Father…our Protector…our Shepherd! Trust in Him and he will guide you on the right path.
Peace and Love

A

No comments:

Post a Comment