Sunday 29 December 2013

A's Top Bands of 2013

As the year draws to a close I thought I'd recap on the bands whose music has comforted me in times of heartache, encouraged me in times of trouble and brought about numerous hours of air drumming and guitaring.

And so....in no particular order....here are my favourite bands of the year:



COIN
I owe this "discovery" to a good friend of mine in America! These four guys, based in Nashville, create the ultimate 'feel good' music :) I can't even count the number of times I've danced around the room to them! Give them a listen...I KNOW you'll feel the same!

A description from their website:
This is COIN, and we are a product of the '90s. We decided that everything was too serious; so, we started a new project. Some call it swirly indie party pop. You can call it what you'd like, but we just want to make music that makes you feel good. Whatever does that, yes. Formed in Nashville, TN.





The Vespers

An incredible folk band from Nashville, TN. After listening to just a few minutes of their incredible voices and heartfelt lyrics I was hooked.

Below is the song that made me fall in love with them...



All Sons and Daughters

What an incredible talent Leslie Jordan and David Leonard are....they are a worship-acoustic-folk duo from Franklin, Tennessee who create the most beautiful praise and worship songs I've heard in a while.
You can download part of their album "Songs from Oklahoma" here.

Below is a personal favourite of mine:



Needtobreathe

Now this band has been one of my favourites for quite a number of years. They are a multi-award winning Christian rock band from Seneca, South Carolina. They have undeniable "country" roots with a more contemporary/rock feel.

Below is a song that kept me going this year.


Mumford and Sons
Now I know there is plenty of debate around whether or not they are Christian blah...blah...
But I personally believe there to be no denying the Christian undertones in many of their songs. Their lyrics are sensitive and heartfelt, whilst their melodies as a whole are filled with emotion.
I had the pleasure of seeing them live and I can honestly say that their passion for music as well as their fans is absolutely incredible!

What I wouldn't give to see this live....



Bear's Den
I saw them live when they opened for Mumford and Sons and all I can say is WOW!
These British Folk Rockers have lured fans from all over the world with their rich harmonies and deep lyrics.

I can't tell you how difficult it was to choose just one song to put up on the blog!



The Ember Days
A Christian worship band originally from New Zealand and now signed to a label based in....yip you guessed it NASHVILLE! I really feel as though I should visit this city sometime!:p
I first came across this band whilst on Kickstarter, which they used to finance one of their studio albums.
Below is how they would describe themselves:
Fuelled by pure creative passion and a heart to worship, the Ember Days are a band that continues to push the boundaries of music with songs that reflect the glorious and untamed beauty of God. Painfully honest lyrics, emotive intensity and powerhouse vocals all distinguish this New Zealand based quintet.




Rend Collective Experiment
Out of all the bands on this list, I think it's safe to say that this one has been on my playlist consistently. I can honestly say there is not one song of theirs I do not like....
They are a Northern Irish Christian, experimental, folk rock, worship band.




Matthew Mole
Last, but certainly not least is fellow South African, Matthew Mole!
What an incredible year it's been for this man...settling in a new city, playing at numerous festivals both local and abroad and his debut album reaching No.1 on the iTunes chart!! He is an amazing talent and inspiring man of God...we look forward to seeing what God has in store for him.

1 comment:

  1. Feel free to comment and leave your Top bands for 2013!

    ReplyDelete