Sunday 2 February 2014

I Dare You to Move

“Welcome to the planet. Welcome to existence. Everyone’s here, everyone’s here. Everybody’s watching you now. Everybody waits for you now. What happens next? What happens next...?”

This is a song by possibly my favourite band, Switchfoot. The song is called “Dare you to move” and as the title states it is a challenge to us. I find this to be quite an interesting challenge, because it implies that we know where we should move to, or what we should be doing.  I think a lot of us feel like we’re being held back by something. Like a dog on a chain outside a grocery store, we can’t go anywhere because we feel held back. What is your chain? What’s holding you back? Is it a person? Could that person be you...? Do you fear the disapproval of others? Perhaps you fear not being able to achieve goals, so you never set any. Or maybe you’re like me and you fear failure.

I found quite a cool Bible verse that encourages me to overcome any fears I have about my future. It’s from Mark 11:22, "I have faith that God is living out a divine plan through me. Have faith in God." This encourages me to move, to take the steps that scare me the most. God is living out an incredible plan, he has something special in store for me, and he has something uniquely awesome lined up for you as well. Just like adrenaline enables people to lift cars off babies, God gives us courage to do amazing feats as well.

What makes this song so interesting is that it consistently dares us to do something extraordinary. More importantly, it dares us to be who we were meant to be. Even though things aren’t as they should be, we shouldn’t let that hold us back. The song almost challenges us to try and make the world a better place. Each and every one of us has so much potential to do great things, we only need to dare to do it.
 
I believe this song is a call to people to do something out of their comfort zone. To become extraordinary. For some people that may be going to do mission work in a third world country. For others this may be a challenge to mend bridges between friends or family. The dare is personal and it’s something only you can answer. Jon Foreman simply sings “I dare you to move.” I think if we really search our hearts we will know what to move to.
 
We weren’t made to be ordinary. We have been made extraordinary beings. We are capable of changing our destiny. Our greatest discovery is not in some invention, but the fact that we can alter our destiny just by changing the way we think. It’s time to break whatever chains are holding you back. It’s time to set your course and do something spectacular with your life. It’s time to move. I dare you to.

Stay awesome everyone.

M

1 comment:

  1. Hey M

    I think stepping out of your comfort zone is like the ultimate life challenge. Once we're 'free' of our comfort we stop focusing on ourselves.

    It's great to hear such a powerful message in music. There's hope for us yet :)

    ReplyDelete