Sunday 22 September 2013

Christian Music in the Secular World...v2.0

After reading Bron's post, I felt as though I HAD to follow up with my thoughts on "Christian" and "Secular" music...God has moved so much in my life over the past year and I can honestly say that this blog has helped me grow tremendously.

In the first ever post I remember saying that I used to listen to the intro of ACDC's Highway to Hell in awe...there was just something about that guitar riff that got me going. Looking back, I can't believe I opened myself up to that music! "JUST LOOK AT THE TITLE!" I remember telling myself while changing radio stations as it started playing. I don't exactly know what it is, but something in me has changed and I honestly cannot listen to a lot of the music that I used to.

My whole perspective on music changed after seeing Metallica live in South Africa. I wasn't their biggest fan and didn't know many of their songs, but I felt that seeing such a big band with friends would be a jam! It was on this night that my mind was opened to the true power of music. I've seen quite a few bands live and I can honestly say that "musically" they are possibly the most talented individuals I have ever seen!! It is no surprise that the 90000 people watching were captivated. A few songs into their two-and-a-half hour set I started feeling uneasy...I can't explain what this weird sensation was(perhaps you have felt it when listening to something on the radio), but all I know is that I wanted to be anywhere but there. I couldn't really make out the lyrics were, but for a single phrase..."see his face, see his smile" (more on this song later). I don't know what happened but something wasn't sitting well with my spirit...I left the main stand and sat on some stairs outside. Their skill and stage presence were mesmerizing but there was something about their songs and the messages they preaching that did not sit well with me.

I later Googled that phrase and found it was part of a song called "The Prince". Below are some of the lyrics:

"Angel from below, change my dreams
I want for glory's hour, for wealth's esteem
I wish to sell my soul, to be reborn
I wish for earthly riches, don't want no crown of thorns"


Now I know that this is an extreme example, but it opened my eyes to how important it is to "guard our heart" as Bron put it. I couldn't even hear what the lyrics were the whole night, but I felt so so uneasy...I don't know what scared me more, the band themselves, or the thousands of people throwing the "devil horns" into the air. I remember thinking how sad it was that so many people were supporting this band and their message.



It was from this moment onwards that I started to be more cautious as to what I listened to. I took Ephesians 4:27 to heart - "...do not let the devil get a foothold." Jefferson Bethke put it so well in his video "Is Secular Music Evil?". He says that we should be wary of filling our minds with things that are not good, true and beautiful. He goes on to quote 1 Corinthians 15:33, "Do not be misled, BAD COMPANY CORRUPTS GOOD CHARACTER." (I added the capital letters there...I don't think Paul yelled it.)

It is important, however, to realise that not all "secular" music is bad for us to listen to - just because it doesn't have a cross stamped on it doesn't mean it isn't from God!

It isn't difficult to find music that promotes promiscuity, drugs, alcohol etc etc, STAY AWAY FROM IT!! There is a lot of music in the "secular" music scene that doesn't promote anything evil. For example...I personally do not see the harm in listening to songs like Phillip Phillips' "Home"...it's one of my favourite songs at the moment. It doesn't openly say anything about God or Christianity, but there is definitely an element of truth in the lyrics. I give God the glory for blessing this man with such talents everytime I hear the song! The same goes for plenty other artists I happen to come across on the radio, not all "secular" artists promote anything immoral...God has given these people the skills to perform such amazing pieces and He should be praised for it!!

You, in your heart of hearts, know if the music you are listening to is good and true in God's eyes. I can't stress the importance of separating yourself from any music that would be displeasing to God. The devil is an incredible deceiver and is using music as a tool to draw people away from God. It seems as if people enjoy almost ANY song as long as it has a good beat to it....a sad fact that is increasingly becoming more and more true.

If you have any comments of any kind, please don't hesitate to put them down!

I pray you've all had a good weekend!

Peace and Love everybody.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment