Sunday 17 November 2013

Life Verse

How do you define your life? By the people you know? Or maybe the places you’ve been... Perhaps you are old school, you are what you eat? In which case I’m the biggest bowl of ice-cream and chocolate sauce you’ve ever seen. No cherries though, I hate those sugar coated crimson balls.

As people, we often like to define ourselves by who we are, our past and what we wish to accomplish in the future.

Recently in church and amongst friends we’ve been discussing what our ‘life verse’ is. A ‘life verse’ is kind of like your theme song. That one song you just can’t help but sing at the top of your lungs. For me that’s “Drops of Jupiter” by Train.

It’s that quote that just resonates with your soul.

The main difference is that a ‘life verse’ isn’t something that you would find on the radio or on iTunes. Your ‘life verse’ is found in the Bible, you know, that great big book everyone’s always talking about. For those of you more technologically advanced it also comes as an app on your phone.

Why have a ‘life verse’? What’s the purpose? Well it’s mainly just a verse that sums up your life or who you are, or what you may be going through in a phase in your life. My ‘life verse’ for this year is, “But even when I am afraid, I keep on trusting you” from Psalm 56:3. Life is scary, especially when you have no idea what you intend to do with your own. This verse has just been a reminder to me of how I can continue trusting God for guidance, even in the dark places.

Do you have a ‘life verse’? It’s not life changing, but it is a great comfort. Something to remember when things start to go south.

You may be wondering how to get one. We all go through different phases in our lives, not every verse is going to apply to each of these phrases. A friend of mine said that she used the psalm that was her age for that year. If you are 23, and you then go to Psalm 23 you’ll find this:

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

That’s just one example of how this may work. Others might hear about it from a friend, or see it in a tweet or Facebook status.

Your ‘life verse’ could come from Psalms like mine, or from any other book in the Bible such as Zephaniah 3:17 that says, “The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” New Testament, Old Testament, it doesn’t really matter where your verse is.

However you stumble across it, it’s always great to have a ‘life verse’ to keep you grounded. My ‘life verse’ was used to inspire me through tough times of trials. Other people may have a ‘life verse’ to remember someone they lost.

Whatever your reason, whatever you are searching for, turn to the Bible. It has so many verses of inspiration that you can find. Sometimes you have to look harder to find the deeper meaning, other times it hits you square in the head.

Find a meaning for everything that is going on in your life. Find an answer. Find strength, courage and even hope. Use it as a concrete slab on which to help you get through trying times.

And always remember, stay awesome.

M

1 comment:

  1. I like John 1: 15 as a life verse. It says: "The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." that's exciting and so true. Jesus the Light... cannot be taken/snuffed out!

    ReplyDelete